Re: Voting (again)

2005-04-15 14:44:09
"Keith" == Keith Moore <moore(_at_)cs(_dot_)utk(_dot_)edu> writes:

    Keith> You seem to think that the IETF isn't accountable because
    Keith> they make decisions that you don't like.  I assure you from
    Keith> having been there that there is significant pushback
    Keith> against IESG people who do things that WG participants
    Keith> don't like.  Appeals are painful enough for everyone on
    Keith> IESG that even the implied threat of appeal is a powerful
    Keith> incentive to craft a compromise.

I'd like to second this.  There are several accountability mechanisms.
ADs get significant pressure when they make a decision that people
don't like from the people effected, from the working group chairs,
from the rest of the IESG and in some cases from the IAB.

I also believe the nomcom process does provide accountability.  I
think that the nomcom interview process was more comprehensive than
any job interview process I've gone through.

I suspect the nomcom does get a lot of feedback about sitting IESG/IAB
members and it seems likely that on average they seriously consider
this feedback.

--Sam