Re: RFCs should be distributed in XML (Was: Faux Pas -- web publication in proprietary formats at ietf.org

2005-11-14 07:02:20

I too use Subversion and rfcdiff and xml2rfc. But there are people doing work (i.e. writing docs) in the IETF that do not work this way. They may find using a version control system to be time-wise expensive or prohibitive, especially compared to emailing track- change-docs back and forth.

I would not mind swapping from to an XML package
provided it supported change-tracking, embedded comments,
highlighting, WYSWYG display, edit time spell and edit time
grammer checking, and was a simple to install and maintain
on XP.

Is there such a package?

If not, I will stick with Word and continue to exchange
change-track text with my co-authors.

- Stewart

BTW - one carrot that would tempt me away would be if the
result allowed the normative text to incorprate proper
diagrams - like ITU and IEEE - two name but two - have
use in their specifications for the last 20 or so years.