Re: Diagrams (Was RFCs should be distributed in XML)

2005-11-14 07:57:14
IMHO, standardizing on _validated_ SVG with a library of well understood images that represented architectural components with attached semantics could be used to even start validating diagrams the same way we validate BNFs now. There are even UML to SVG tools for turning SVG drawings directly into code. And there are lots of free SVG tools....

-MM

Steve Crocker wrote:

The issue of diagrams is entangled in the long-standing discussion of proprietary formats. There is a huge benefit in having a format that *everyone* can access without difficulty or cost. I can't begin to tell you the impact I felt when I walked into a university half way around the world in an underdeveloped country and had a graduate student show me some pretty sophisticated stuff he had done based on RFCs he had downloaded from the net. ASCII is an enormous advantage from that respect.

--
Michael Mealling                  Masten Space Systems, Inc.
VP Business Development                       473 Sapena Ct.