RE: meta-issues on charter discussions

2009-08-24 03:56:55
The tools WG pages used to have diffs between charter versions
(see e.g. http://tools.ietf.org/wg/tls/charters/ -- the "delta"
symbol leads to side-by-side diff between the versions), but
it looks like this broke when new www.ietf.org was deployed
in July....

Best regards,
Pasi

-----Original Message-----
From: ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
[mailto:ietf-bounces(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org] On Behalf Of
ext Tony Hansen
Sent: 21 August, 2009 17:57
To: tools-discuss(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Cc: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
Subject: Re: meta-issues on charter discussions

This was posted to the ietf list.

While the charter history pages are nice, they can be made better using
a format similar to how tools.ietf.org presents RFCs and I-Ds: a
non-printing list of versions at the top with ways to show differences
between versions.

Sounds like a job for the tools team. :-)

      Tony Hansen
      tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com

Thomas Narten wrote:
Re: old charters and such.

While poking around earlier this week, I found:

      http://www.ietf.org/dyn/wg/charter/history/

(it is hanging of the WG pages, so not that hard to find.)

It appears to be a snapshot of charters whenever they change. But,
they "change" often due to events that are probably not the kind of
changes we are thinking about, and there is no indication about what
has changed, so there are a lot of copies and wading through them to
find stuff appears pretty daunting. And the history only goes back 3
years or so...

But they might be a basis for some tools to extract stuff. But, if
tools are going to do this, it seems like an archival format other
than HTML would be desirable.