Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-21 08:04:15
Steve,

If we don't go to China, we have charted a downhill course and the rest of the world will come together without us. The IETF will lose relevance.

If we do go to China and something bad happens, the consequences will be much worse for China than for the IETF. The work of the IETF will suffer a bit, but we'll recover quickly enough. However, China's quest for engagement with the rest of the world will be hurt more seriously.

Bottom line: We should go to China with a positive attitude. We're robust enough to deal with any consequences. If we don't go to China, however, we have weakened ourselves.

FWIW I agree with Steve on this.

(I don't think going to China will make or break our relevance, but it is important to be where networks and equipment are being built, so other things being equal I'd really like to go.)

Jari