Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-20 14:04:54

You said:

"There was a message posted by Ole Jacobsen [2].  I read "host" in
terms of premises and not in terms of country.  It discloses the
rules.  The question is whether people attending a meeting can live
with the "warning".  Would you:

  (i) tone down your comments as there are people, irrespective of
      country, that find the IETF norm unbusiness-like.

 (ii) self-censor to avoid any interpretation that may be considered
      as infringing the rules.

(iii) explore the limits of what is considered as acceptable."

For clarification, "host" means the organization in China that is
organizing the meeting, finding local sponsors etc, etc. The most
recent host was .SE in Stockholm for IETF 75, the next host is
WIDE for IETF 76 in Hiroshima.

As for (i) and (ii), I would say "we should not have to". Beyond
some cultural sensitivity which it's always good to observe, I
don't think self-censorship is what is needed or requested.

Regarding (iii), I would obviously not recommend such action, and
apart from our usual desire to run experiments, I don't really see
what purpose this would serve.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj