Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-20 13:42:16

Mike,

"That discussion could not be had at an IETF in the PRC."

That's YOUR interpretation. Obviously the IAOC, or at least speaking
for myself only, do not believe this is true. If we have to change
the "normal content" of an IETF meeting in order to meet in a given
location, then I fully agree that we should not meet in such a place.

As I've said many times already, there is a state law in place and the
hotel has reminded us of this by inserting the clause (which the HOST
not the IETF/IAOC or ISOC) will be signing. We can certainly agree
that the language is broad and that it seems to give a lot of power to
the hotel, but that's likely because this is generic language that is
inserted into the contract to protect the business interests of the
hotel (I'm not defending it, just an observation).

The language in question is not intended to curb our speech, or make
us worry about what we can say in the course of doing normal IETF
business. I am sure it wasn't even designed with a group like the IETF
in mind. I know that you can choose to read it that way and I
understand your right to object to the language on principle, but I
have to tell you in all honesty that unless someone decides to score a
political point by doing something really "stupid" there is nothing to
worry about. I further predict that IF such a stupid act were to take
place, there would be plenty of warning, negotiation and so on rather
than swift action.

Please try to keep in mind that (various organizations in) China has
been wanting to host an IETF meeting since 1997. One organization has
finally been given government approval to do so. This is a Big Deal
for them. Do you really think the Chinese government is looking for
an excuse to make an example of a bunch of geeks meeting in a hotel
and embarrass the local host in the process? I don't think so.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj