Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-20 14:46:59

On Sep 20, 2009, at 2:15 PM, Tim Bray wrote:

On Sun, Sep 20, 2009 at 10:55 AM, Marshall Eubanks <tme(_at_)americafree(_dot_)tv> wrote:

Politeness and respect towards the Host, yes, of
course. Censorship of technical discussions, pre or otherwise, no.

Perhaps you'd like to rephrase that.  It is an incontrovertible fact
that there are many people who feel the PRC government is corrupt and
authoritarian, sends its armed forces to shoot down peaceful
protesters, brutally oppresses national minorities, invades some
neighbors and threatens to invade others, kidnaps and locks up people
for expressing their opinions; is essentially barbarous and thus has
forfeited any right to respect from civilized people.  To be fair, you
can find people who have a gripe with any government in the world,
although China's is unusually controversial.  In any case, respect for
any particular governing body really can't be imposed as a
precondition of attending any meeting anywhere.

I was speaking purely for myself, and about our hosts. I believe that, if I accept someone's hospitality, that implies that I should show them politeness and respect while I am their guest. That is not the same as saying that I will agree with them, or even that I will hold my tongue, but
I do try and be polite.

Regards
Marshall

-Tim