Re: Request for community guidance on issue concerning a future meeting of the IETF

2009-09-22 04:54:36
On Tue, Sep 22, 2009 at 12:29 AM, Randall Gellens
<randy(_at_)qualcomm(_dot_)com> wrote:
At 5:45 PM +0800 9/21/09, Peny Yang wrote:

 However, IMHO, your
 experience may be the story 10 years ago. I am a smoker. When I would
 like to smoke, I always go find the smoking corner.
 Now, in Beijing, smoking is prohibited in most of public areas. From
 my experience, the policies on smoking in China are more restrict than
 some other countries like EU, Japan.

My experience was a couple of years ago, not ten, but it's good to hear that
things have improved.  Can you tell me what this "smoking corner" is?
[Peny] OK. "Smoking corner" means some areas for smoking. China
Government surely respects the right of smokers, when they tried to
protect the health of non-smokers.

recall that a few years ago Copenhagen airport, for example, had such
things, but they were simply designated indoor areas, and as such, were no
help at all.  Likewise, a few years ago, meetings in Japan officially
prohibited smoking in many public areas, but the hotel simply wheeled in
portable "smoking areas" which did nothing to help.
[Peny] Well, every country has similar issues as you mentioned. In
China, we also have such kind of smoking areas. I couldn't say they
are 100% isolated from other areas.

Can you tell me more about the smoking policy in China now?
[Peny] OK. Originally, I was trying to find a English webpage for you.
However, I didn't find it. Anyway, the link below is the policy on
smoking in Beijing since Mar. 2008.
http://www.gov.cn/gzdt/2008-04/10/content_941252.htm
I am not sure if you have some Chinese friends to translate it for you.

And I agree with you about Japan, although that in the last few years I've
been able to find 100% non-smoking restaurants (it takes some work).
[Peny] Well, I have to say quite a lot of EU countries are also the
same style. Anyway, just like other countries, China is just a
country, which has smokers and non-smokers. This issue should not be a
barrier for a IETF meeting in China.

--
Randall Gellens
Opinions are personal;    facts are suspect;    I speak for myself only