Re: IETF Plenary Discussions

2009-11-16 08:22:27
Spencer Dawkins wrote:
i am remembering that this is correct. i have a faint memory that the timer might have been per topic (so you cut off the followups and moved to the next question), at least once or twice.

i have a faint memory of a lot of things. harald? :-)
Both experiments were run - at one stage, we ran a 2-minute participation timer and a ~20-minute topic timer - this had the additional twist that we had one mike for raising new topics and 2 mikes for commenting on the current topic.

Quite an overengineered scenario, I think; my clearest memory of that session was the guy who stood at the "topic" mike quietly for 20 minutes waiting to say "thank you for all the good stuff we got done".

Reaction to the timers was quite mixed, going all the way from love to hate; we never did a survey of the participants afterwards, I think. We probably should have.

                  Harald

spencer

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Hansen" <tony(_at_)att(_dot_)com>
To: "IETF Discussion" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Thursday, November 12, 2009 11:11 AM
Subject: Re: IETF Plenary Discussions

Didn't Harald put up a timer sometimes during open mike?

Tony Hansen

Russ Housley wrote:
I did not take the comment as disrespectful. A timer might be a very good experiment.

Russ

At 05:53 AM 11/11/2009, Danny McPherson wrote:
Russ, Olaf, et al,
I was serious in my recommendation to experiment with limiting
question (comment) time at the microphone at plenaries.  I believe
it'll not only help mere mortals pay more attention, but will also
encourage those folks that have questions or comments to be more
concise, thereby keeping the audience better engaged.

I honestly mean no disrespect and appreciate the wealth of
institutional  knowledge that's on hand and frequently shared,
I just believe that it'd be more effective use of such precious
time (and encourage more discussions on this list :-).

-danny