Re: IETF Plenary Discussions

2009-11-17 04:39:47
As a life-long fan of the Gong Show, I think it'd be cool to have a big Gong on the dias, where perhaps after a bunch of loud hums, an AD or IAB member finally satisfies the audience. This could happen sooner or later, depending on whether we're talking about topic (1) "NATs", (2) "The standards process", or (3) "Venue location".

But perhaps there's another approach that won't be quite so, well, base. To me, if someone wants more than 2 minutes to make a point, perhaps that person should request a short agenda slot. Here's a little process experiment: why not slot 20 minutes for such time at one of the plenaries, allowing for a 5 minute presentation and 5 minute discussion? NANOG has been doing something like this- the Lightning presos. You could even imagine someone carrying over a topic from this IETF discussion list or the previous meeting. This gives people an opportunity to collect their thoughts, perhaps even post a draft, and then give a quick summary of it.

Some would say that the moment may have passed, and that decisions will be taken. But 2 minutes is more than enough time for someone to say "-1" or "+1", or to make a very brief point as to why someone should be "-1" or "+1".

Eliot