Re: IETF Plenary Discussions

2009-11-16 16:09:18
On Nov 16, 2009, at 11:56 AM, Brian E Carpenter wrote:
I agree that the I* should listen to the community, but then the community should regulate itself. Maybe we need a new tradition - something like a polite hum when someone has been ranting for long enough, and a loud hum
when they have been ranting for too long?

I can think of a few people who I think have been
ranting too long as soon as they step up to the
mike.  So, I think it's probably a mistake to turn
plenaries into a techie version of "The Gong Show" -
we shouldn't be making it easier to silence people
with unpopular or annoying views.  At least putting
a time limit on speeches at the mike is basically
(but not perfectly) non-discriminatory.

Melinda