Re: IETF Plenary Discussions

2009-11-16 15:57:29
On 2009-11-17 09:12, Bob Hinden wrote:

Reaction to the timers was quite mixed, going all the way from love to
hate; we never did a survey of the participants afterwards, I think.
We probably should have.

I was one of the folks who "hated" it.  I view the open mikes as the
time for the community to speak to the leadership (IESG, IAB, and now
the IAOC).  IMHO a timer sends the message that the I* does't want to
listen to the community.

Note, I don't like the long rants either, but in this case the cure is
worse than the disease.

I agree that the I* should listen to the community, but then the community
should regulate itself. Maybe we need a new tradition - something like a
polite hum when someone has been ranting for long enough, and a loud hum
when they have been ranting for too long?

    Brian