Re: IETF Plenary Discussions

2009-11-17 18:55:33
On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 12:15 PM, Brian E Carpenter <
brian(_dot_)e(_dot_)carpenter(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

In fact, lightning talks are SOP at most operator group meetings.
I think that would be an excellent experiment.

   Brian

I agree, and in fact I've suggested lightning talks too; I think it tilts
community discussion towards identifying problems and solutions (or
educating) rather than asking the "leadership" for solutions which they're
not always able to provide unilaterally.   I think where the IESG got hung
up on actually planning lightning talks was on identifying a moderator who
is familiar with the format enough to run the talks, plus personable and
lively enough to keep things moving.  Up 'til now I haven't volunteered to
run such talks, but I do so now, still hoping somebody better than me can be
found.

The format I liked from ApacheCon, with a very similar model used at
DjangoCon, was to take names from those who wanted to talk for 5 minutes, up
to the start of the talks, then pull those names out of a hat until the hour
had been used up.   The 5 minutes was very strictly enforced with a giant
visible countdown, and there was <30sec allowed for the next speaker to come
up (therefore no slides).

Lisa