Re: On Day Passes..

2010-03-25 05:08:35
Yes ... in fact if you look at early announce mataterial vs. later I
believe the 'limit one' was added after I rattled the cage.

Disclaimer... much like site selection, this is an IAOC responsibility that I have no direct experience with, but ...

First, the math.

At about the time David asked about a second day pass, I was in San Francisco for a week, and happened to be riding BART. Their fare structure looked something like this (from memory, but work with me here):

One trip, one way: $5
One trip, two way: $7
One day, unlimited: $10
Three days, unlimited: $20
Seven days, unlimited: $28

So basically the strategy was "don't charge a tourist $28 to get on a bus, but quickly make it worth the tourist's while to get a one-day ticket unless you're SURE you won't touch the bus more than to-and-from that day, and quickly make it worth the tourist's while to get a seven-day pass unless you're leaving town after three days".

So a month ago, I was wondering about something like

one day pass: $300
two day pass: $500
all week pass: $645 or whatever I paid this time

We might (in some cases, please see below for details) want to give some people a break sometimes, but quickly move most people to a full-week rate.

NOW: please forget all my math long enough to think about these points:

We seem to be awash in a sea of unintended consequences, not all good and not all bad, so tuning may be helpful.

If the goal is to provide access to the IETF for first-time attendees, maybe we should make day passes available for first-time attendees.

If the goal is to make sure that unemployed chairs, working group draft editors, and maybe even I-star members can come to IETF and contribute seriously to getting work done, maybe we should have an application procedure requesting a reduced registration price for the full week, similar to what we have for students today.

If we limit day passes to first-time attendees, they probably won't learn much less about IETF culture in their first IETF meeting than people who do what I did for several years, and sit in meeting rooms for the whole week, so it may make sense to have a first-time day pass count for NomCom eligibility. Beyond that, you're talking about someone who is missing a lot of what we do when we're trying to work for the benefit of the Internet, and who would be participating in NomCom with a significant hole in his/her cultural and workflow understanding, so it may make sense that only the first pass counts.

Thanks,

Spencer