Re: On Day Passes..

2010-03-25 09:41:34

Our main reason for running the one-day pass experiment in Japan was a
desire by our host, WIDE, to bring in "related organizations" to the
IETF process. I don't think anyone expected these attendees to be much
more than "observers", but there was still the hope that they would
report back to their respective organizations and get involved in the
IETF going forward. In Japan, getting permission to be out of the
office for a whole week is a lot more difficult than for just one day,
especially for something that might be only somewhat "related" (that's
probably true in many other places too).

I still believe that it would be good to allow one (or perhaps two)
day participation for a fee which makes it affordable and possible for
more people to attend, but I recognize that the system may need tuning
and that it is currently possible to "abuse," although historically we
have not been paying too much attention to folks who just show up and
don't pay at all either.

As Henk mentioned, when RIPE introduced one-day passes the net result
was more participation and an overall increase in meeting revenue, but
I recognize that the IETF is not (yet ? ;-) RIPE.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj