Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-08 20:27:00

"Michael" == Michael StJohns <mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> writes:
    Michael> Fred said this much more eloquently than I could.

    Michael> On the IETF78 attendees list there's been a lot of
    Michael> discussion about where to meet - with the primary
    Michael> consideration seeming to be "pretty and small".  I may be
    Michael> in the minority, but I'd really rather the IETF go places
    Michael> where the ability to "get work done" is the primary
    Michael> consideration.

Yeah, I'm all for meeting in Europe once a year, but does it have to be
in the peak of Summer?  Seriously.  As long as I'm in a hotel conference
centre all day, I might as well be north of the Artic Circle in November.

    Michael> So going forward, I hope the considerations for location
    Michael> will give higher weight to meeting the needs of the folks
    Michael> doing the work (my second list of folk) and the folks who
    Michael> keep coming back (the first list) than to the single
    Michael> meeting snap shots.  Its possible the demographics for my
    Michael> two lists are similar to the raw demographics so my point
    Michael> may be moot - but why guess when we have the data?

A good question.

] mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ottawa(_dot_)on(_dot_)ca
http://www.sandelman.ottawa.on.ca/ |device driver[
                       then sign the petition.