Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-09 04:47:57

On Aug 9, 2010, at 2:48 AM, Simon Josefsson wrote:

Michael Richardson <mcr(_at_)sandelman(_dot_)ca> writes:

"Michael" == Michael StJohns <mstjohns(_at_)comcast(_dot_)net> writes:
   Michael> Fred said this much more eloquently than I could.

   Michael> On the IETF78 attendees list there's been a lot of
   Michael> discussion about where to meet - with the primary
   Michael> consideration seeming to be "pretty and small".  I may be
   Michael> in the minority, but I'd really rather the IETF go places
   Michael> where the ability to "get work done" is the primary
   Michael> consideration.

Yeah, I'm all for meeting in Europe once a year, but does it have to be
in the peak of Summer?  Seriously.  As long as I'm in a hotel conference
centre all day, I might as well be north of the Artic Circle in November.

+1.  Peak of summer happens to be peak of vacation time for many
europeans, and making room for an IETF conference during vacation
periods can be difficult even if it is in the same continent.

It sounds like you are suggesting not having a meeting during the summer at
all, as opposed to
not having it in Europe during the summer.

Regards
Marshall

/Simon