Re: Varying meeting venue -- why?

2010-08-16 16:11:12

--On Monday, August 16, 2010 11:05 -0700 Ole Jacobsen
<ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Fri, 13 Aug 2010, Dave CROCKER wrote:

Well, since the target market isn't really specified and the
criteria for satisfying it aren't specified, what's really
going on  is a lot of private models that probably don't
match.

The target market was well specified in Hiroshima: Expose a
new  community to our work. This was an explicit desire by
WIDE and I believe that it worked quite well based on the
numbers, but this does NOT mean that I expect to see (m)any of
these attendees as regular IETFers. Exposure to our way of
doing things does not mean that they'll join our ranks, but
that does not make the excercise/experiment invalid. And I
don't see how this is a "private model".

Ole, the obvious question here can be stated more or less as
follows:

(1) The sponsor wants to expose a community in which they are
interested to our work,

(2) We have little expectation that the community intended to be
exposed will turn into long-term active/ contributing
participants and few (if any) of them are active, contributing,
but non-attending participants already.

(3) Accommodating the sponsor's desires increases costs (travel
time and expense, effective meeting length, costs of trying to
educate those who won't come back) to regular, active,
contributing participants.  That is independent of the costs to
the IASA, which presumably do not increase and, depending on how
one counts would go down by the amount of sponsorship (assuming
the sponsor were to condition sponsorship on that "exposure"
arrangement).  If the sponsor merely expresses a preference but
will sponsor one way or the other, the parameters of the
equation may become more clear.

Now I don't assume that the IAOC has made these decision
incorrectly.  But I would like to understand the reasoning that,
it would appear, has the regular and active participants paying
for the education and/or entertainment of tourists.

regards,
   john