Re: Varying meeting venue -- why?

2010-08-12 15:23:27
Spencer Dawkins wrote:

My understanding is that Minneapolis kind of fell off the truck due to
problems with IETF attendees getting US visas, and not because of other
considerations. We've met there a lot in the past 10 or so years. People
complained, but not in ways that prevented us from meeting there
repeatedly.

So if we were going to quantify savings based on return visits, could I
suggest that we pick another place to quantify (perhaps "Vancouver" -
we've been there a couple of times lately, and I happen to be sitting in
a hotel right now - but anyplace outside the US would work for the
concern I was raising).

If the motivation for "anyplace outside the US" is that of problems with
getting US visas, then I'd say that Canada is no panacea in that
respect, either.

One might even argue on the contrary: I got an US visa that's valid for
ten years, spanning the life of two passports (you just need to bring
the old and current passport). However, at least the Canadian embassy n
Buenos Aires (Argentina) won't issue a visa that is valid past the life
of your current passport (so during the last year I had to apply twice
to get a Canadian visa, even when I visited Canada in two consecutive
months).

The requirements for applying to an US or Canadian visa are similar (at
least in practice). Probably the only difference is that for the US visa
you need to plan things way in advance (e.g., you need to schedule an
appointment, whereas for the canadian visa you need not).

Thanks,
--
Fernando Gont
e-mail: fernando(_at_)gont(_dot_)com(_dot_)ar || fgont(_at_)acm(_dot_)org