Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-18 15:11:25
"Bob" == Bob Hinden <bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> writes:

    Bob> A question for you.  Should we select meeting venues to
    Bob> minimize the cost/time/etc. of all attendees or just, for
    Bob> example, w.g. chairs?  Many people have suggested that the IAOC
    Bob> should be looking at overall attendee costs, but there might be
    Bob> a difference in what group we try to optimize.

    Bob> Personally, I lean toward more openness and would prefer to do
    Bob> optimize for all attendees.

I think fairly strongly we should be optimizing for those doing active
work in the IETF.  Yes, that means that people who wish to get started
in the IETF will face a higher bar in terms of meeting costs.  In my
mind that's OK, they will face a higher bar on a number of other fronts
as well.

We have a defined mission statement; it's my belief that the best way to
accomplish that is to optimize for those who are doing the work while
being sufficiently open that people who are willing to spend some effort
can get involved.

Put another way, we've already decided on our long-term success
criteria: high quality specs. If you propose to change what we do in
this space, you should make an argument about why what you're doing is
the best option for advancing that long-term goal.

I believe optimizing for the participants is the best long-term goal
because it maximizes the probability that the people doing the work of
the IETF are available to take advantage of the face-to-face
discussions.
It is important not to go so far as to prevent people from joining so
that new work can filter into the system.

--Sam