Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-30 16:48:20

The obvious answer is to pick a location that is equi-distant or equally
expensive for most people, and does not meet too often in one contintent.
There is such a place: Hawaii.  It is fairly mid-point between APAC and the
Americas, and just slightly farther from Europe (well, a lot farther if you
can't fly direct, but that's just due to airline routes, not
distance-between-two-points).

Furthermore, it's not in any continent, and thus equal for all in that regard.
And it's a great tourist destination, and has plenty of meeting facilities,
restaurants, Internet bandwidth, and no trains.  So this seems to address
everyone's concerns.

Therefore, I propose we meet in Hawaii (and Kauai in particular) from now on.
We can even rotate islands if people get bored.

Problem solved.

-hadriel