Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-30 15:40:33
On 30 aug 2010, at 21:57, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

If you want to be fair to the individual participants you have to optimize in
such a way that attending 6 meetings costs the same for every individual that
regularly attends the IETF. Obviously one can only approximate that by
putting fairly large error bars on the costs but isn't the X-Y-Z distribution
where X= approx Y= approx Z  the closest optimum? (or finding one place that
sucks equally for everybody)

Am I missing something?

Yes.

Optimizing for min(X+Y+Z) WITH the constraint X=Y=Z is almost certainly going
to produce a higher X+Y+Z than without that constraint. In other words, if you
want to be fair the total expense for the entire community will be larger.

Contrary to popular belief, distance is not the most important factor in travel
expenses. My flight from Madrid to Dublin cost almost what I paid to fly from
Amsterdam to Minneapolis a few years before. Hotel rates have a much bigger
impact, especially now that the official IETF hotels seem to be getting more
expensive every time we meet.