Re: Optimizing for what? Was Re: IETF Attendance by continent

2010-08-31 03:49:44

----- Original Message -----
From: "Iljitsch van Beijnum" <iljitsch(_at_)muada(_dot_)com>
To: "Olaf Kolkman" <olaf(_at_)NLnetLabs(_dot_)nl>
Cc: "IETF-Discussion list" <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>
Sent: Monday, August 30, 2010 10:33 PM

On 30 aug 2010, at 21:57, Olaf Kolkman wrote:

If you want to be fair to the individual participants you have to optimize
in such a way that attending 6 meetings costs the same for every individual that
regularly attends the IETF. Obviously one can only approximate that by putting
fairly large error bars on the costs but isn't the X-Y-Z distribution where X=
approx Y= approx Z  the closest optimum? (or finding one place that sucks
equally for everybody)

Am I missing something?

Yes.

Optimizing for min(X+Y+Z) WITH the constraint X=Y=Z is almost certainly going
to produce a higher X+Y+Z than without that constraint. In other words, if you
want to be fair the total expense for the entire community will be larger.

Contrary to popular belief, distance is not the most important factor in
travel expenses. My flight from Madrid to Dublin cost almost what I paid to fly
from Amsterdam to Minneapolis a few years before. Hotel rates have a much bigger
impact, especially now that the official IETF hotels seem to be getting more
expensive every time we meet.

I agree about the distance.  I see America as the travel industry's equivalent
of the sociometric star, and would happily go for 6:0:0 since it is travel costs
that dictate my presence (usually absence:-(   By contrast, almost anywhere in
Europe is more expensive to get to (from the UK).

Tom Petch