whine, whine, whine

2011-06-20 22:53:28
My recollection, which of course could easily be flawed, is that the
survey did not make clear that travel is significantly more difficult
to Quebec than other Canadian cities, nor that hotels are more
expensive.

The hotels in Quebec are no more expensive than hotels in other cities
where the IETF might meet such as Montreal, Toronto, or Vancouver.  If
anything, they're cheaper.  Look up some prices on Hotwire ($101/night
for three stars within 1/2 mi of convention centre) or Expedia or
Orbitz if you don't believe it.  The Laval university dorms, which
people tell me are pretty nice, are a reasonable option if you want
cheap, and are a steal at $51.

Quebec has been in the exact same location for over 400 years.  It's
not like its a secret to anyone who can look at a map.  It may not be
as easy to get to as, say, Toronto or Chicago, but (at least from
where I live) it's a lot easier to get to than a remote armpit like,
oh, San Diego.

Since I am your pal, here is a preview of more things to complain
about:

* There is no usable bus from the airport (it runs only at commuter
  hours) and a taxi costs C$32.50

* Nobody will accept US money at par any more, if they accept it at
  all. Your bank probably does not have a branch in Quebec.

* The social event is in the lower city, which is down steep and
  inconvenient streets, stairs, and/or funicular from the upper city
  where the meeting and most hotels are.  Even worse, you will have to
  go up those steep streets, stairs, and/or funicular after the event
  when you are too drunk to remember where your hotel is.

* The city has historic monuments which are insulting to the Americans
  who failed to capture the city in 1775.

* And worst of all, everyone speaks French.

See you all there,
John