Re: Has anyone found a hotel for Quebec City that isn't exorbitant?

2011-06-20 23:08:20
On 6/20/2011 11:54 PM, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

Keith,

Here is the tradeoff:

"The community" has expressed a strong preference for one-roof venues
[which often translates to convention center + hotel next door in our
case] in a city setting (City West and Maastricht being non-examples).

This leads to (generally speaking):

* Somewhat expensive main hotel rates (although I agree that hotel
  rates seem to be as variable and unpredictable as airline rates, and
  I would hope we could do better even if we sign the contract several
  years in advance.)

Actually, it seems that the conference rates at IETF hotels are quite
predictable: a couple of months ago it was possible to book a room at
the QC Hilton for $176 CAD/night _during the IETF meeting_; if you check
the Hilton Web site right now, you will find that equivalent rooms at
the Hilton the week before the IETF run about $100 less than during the
meeting.  It's possible that IETF week marks the transition to high
season rates, but in that case why not move the meeting by a week?  This
is not an isolated case: in Beijing, rooms at the Shangri-La were
significantly cheaper both the week before and the week after the IETF;
in Hiroshima, I got a room at the conference hotel the week of the
meeting for ~$50/night less than the conference rate by eschewing "free"
breakfast.  Admittedly the breakfast in Hiroshima was both tasty and
plentiful, but $50?  Not even in Japan.  It seems apparent that the IAOC
"negotiators" are wearing signs around their necks during the hotel
negotiations; the only question is what is written on the signs.  Is it
"I am a moron" or the simple but effective "F*&k Me"?