Re: Has anyone found a hotel for Quebec City that isn't exorbitant?

2011-06-21 00:31:49

On Jun 21, 2011, at 06:30 , Joel Jaeggli wrote:
It has been repeated ad-nausieum that "conference rates" subsidize the rental
of the meeting room block... The fact that the conference rates are more
expensive ( on a contract signed 24 months out) than a spot check of the room
rate at any given time should come as no surprise to anyone. You can cruise
the IETF finances if for some reason you don't believe this. If the room
block doesn't get filled you can expect your fees to go up accordingly over
time. I will observe that I have generally  not paid the conference rate or
stayed in the meeting hotel while attending the IETF on my own dime (and have
stayed in some rather nicer hotels (paris, stockholm, etc) for less money as
a result. When I attend on behalf my employer I make it clear what we paying
for when participating.

Just one additional data-point here.

For some of us, getting reimbursed for a higher meeting fee is actually a lot
easier than getting reimbursed for a higher hotel-fee. Such would be the case
when, for example, traveling on a fixed per-diem intended for covering
accommodation/food, but reimbursed on cost for the meeting fee.

For me, not an eyelid would be bat if I presented a quadruple (or more)
meeting-fee-bill -- whereas it is a recurring administrative hassle to actually
get a hotel-bill exceeding the per-diem to pass accounting (and, actually quite
a lottery each time if it will be reimbursed....)

Not wanting to criticize, but  I would encourage that such situations also be
considered when making plans for the IETF meeting payment structure.

Sincerely yours

Thomas

ps: Other than that, I am actually excited to go to Quebec City which - for
those who've never been there - is a very very pleasant place to be. Also, when
there, my French colleagues tend to mock me a whole lot less for my accent ;)

please look at the balance sheet here:

http://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/Meeting-Financials-2010-77.pdf

and note both the hotel commission, a credit, and the zero charge associated
with meeting rooms.

It's not clear to me that this can be made more transparent, but if you'd
like to try I'm sure that someone would be happy to nominate you for an open
iaoc position when available.

joel