Re: Has anyone found a hotel for Quebec City that isn't exorbitant?

2011-06-21 01:38:16
On Jun 21, 2011, at 1:31 AM, Thomas Heide Clausen wrote:

On Jun 21, 2011, at 06:30 , Joel Jaeggli wrote:
It has been repeated ad-nausieum that "conference rates" subsidize the
rental of the meeting room block... The fact that the conference rates are
more expensive ( on a contract signed 24 months out) than a spot check of
the room rate at any given time should come as no surprise to anyone. You
can cruise the IETF finances if for some reason you don't believe this. If
the room block doesn't get filled you can expect your fees to go up
accordingly over time. I will observe that I have generally  not paid the
conference rate or stayed in the meeting hotel while attending the IETF on
my own dime (and have stayed in some rather nicer hotels (paris, stockholm,
etc) for less money as a result. When I attend on behalf my employer I make
it clear what we paying for when participating.

Just one additional data-point here.

For some of us, getting reimbursed for a higher meeting fee is actually a lot
easier than getting reimbursed for a higher hotel-fee. Such would be the case
when, for example, traveling on a fixed per-diem intended for covering
accommodation/food, but reimbursed on cost for the meeting fee.

Then again, for others of us, staying at a cheaper hotel a short distance away
is actually a lot easier than paying out the wazoo for an overpriced meeting
venue.

Keith