Re: location preferences

2011-06-21 09:43:37

Folks,

Having surveyed three of the downtown dallas venues suitable for a meeting
the size of the ietf including the one where we did IETF 34 and done another
meeting in a 4th, there is some horrible network plant in several of them
among other things. So like all venues there's not a unequivocal slam-dunk.

As long as the IETF community prefers to travel to new venues, each meeting will
run the risk of the unknown and the effort to adapt to it.  We will not get any
of the benefit of a learning curve that accrues from re-visiting venues.

As for Vancouver vs. Quebec City, note that there was a survey.  I believe that
respondents stated a roughly 2:1 preference for Quebec City, primarily along the
lines of liking that it was a new place.  In effect, that said that tourism is a
high priority for IETF attendees.

There is a disconnect between attendees' desire for easy and inexpensive travel
and convenient IETF work environments, versus the desire for "interesting"
venues.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker