Re: location preferences

2011-06-20 16:57:20

On 6/20/2011 2:47 PM, Andrew Sullivan wrote:
Speaking only for myself, I will note that the worst IETF experience I
ever had was in Dallas: the location was remote and poor, we were
flooded out of the hotel, alternatives nearby were few, and you needed
a car to go anywhere.

It was, indeed, a horrible venue, along any number of parameters. Fortunately, Dallas has a few other choices that are likely to work better, along every parameter we care about.

> Also, the crime statistics for the city made me
uneasy.

The crime statistics for most American cities and most major European cities make me uneasy. In 1983 I moved to Toronto from Washington DC and was amused by the different perspectives about crime. I was told there were a couple of blocks in downtown Toronto that weren't very safe for women alone at night. By contract, perhaps 1/3-1/2 of DC was unsafe for almost anyone at night and maybe 1/4 for most folk during the day...

I've been ripped off twice in Paris including a double-team pocket-picking. Purses and backpacks of IETF have been stolen -- including from the middle of meeting rooms(!) -- in Munich, Stockholm and I believe some other places.

In any event, if crime statistics are to become a factor in choosing IETF venues, the IETF community needs to develop some consensus about this, including what the acceptable parameters are. As of now, I believe that's not generally part of the discussion in choosing a venue.

d/

--

  Dave Crocker
  Brandenburg InternetWorking