IETF-meta (Was: Re: Has anyone found a hotel for Quebec City that isn't exorbitant?)

2011-06-20 12:55:11
Just a reminder, originally posted September 2010:

NEW NON-IETF LIST ANNOUNCEMENT

IETF Meta-Discussions

This group is dedicated to the discussion of ancillary issues of interest to
the IETF community, especially discussions about how IETF discussions and
meetings should work.
-- IETF meeting locations / travel
-- Email composition design patterns
-- Anything related to DiffServ politics

<http://groups.google.com/group/ietf-meta>

On Jun 20, 2011, at 1:32 PM, Michael Richardson wrote:

"Ole" == Ole Jacobsen <ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com> writes:
   Ole> Here is the tradeoff:

   Ole> "The community" has expressed a strong preference for one-roof
   Ole> venues [which often translates to convention center + hotel
   Ole> next door in our case] in a city setting (City West and
   Ole> Maastricht being non-examples).

   Ole> This leads to (generally speaking):

   Ole> * Somewhat expensive main hotel rates (although I agree that
   Ole> hotel rates seem to be as variable and unpredictable as airline
   Ole> rates, and I would hope we could do better even if we sign the
   Ole> contract several years in advance.)

okay, but why Quebec City in the summer?
It's a peak season destination.  We seem to do this a lot.
March would be no better, but early November there would be, I think, low
peak.
What's a non-peak destination for July?  Maybe I'm wrong about Quebec.

   Ole> * More choices in the city nearby ranging from apartment
   Ole> rentals, smaller hotels etc, etc.

   Ole> The second item is intended to address your "inclusive"
   Ole> point. As has been pointed out, QC offers a good range of
   Ole> hotels at various price points.

I'm staying at Laval University resident for $61/night.  Hotwire did
find a few places equal in distance for ~$108, but the trip was harder
in my opinion.  I might bring my folding bike, or not (I'm coming by
train).  There are apparently dozens of buses that travel the 6km
stretch of Rene Levesque, but I'm doubtful that many will run after 8pm,
so I'm counting on a few taxi rides.

I think we will be relatively happy in Quebec.

--
]       He who is tired of Weird Al is tired of life!           |  firewalls
[