Re: voting system for future venues?

2011-08-24 23:05:41

Right, and I apologize for the wording.

Ole

Ole J. Jacobsen
Cisco Systems
Tel: +1 408-527-8972   Mobile: +1 415-370-4628
E-mail: ole(_at_)cisco(_dot_)com  URL: http://www.cisco.com/ipj
Skype: organdemo

On Wed, 24 Aug 2011, ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com wrote:

On Wed, Aug 24, 2011 at 03:07:59PM -0700, Ole Jacobsen wrote:

"....doesn't look that good in terms of iaoc performance over time."

Are you seriously suggesting that we are looking for more and more
expensive venues over time? Do you not think there might be some
factors such as inflation, currency fluctuations, general cost
increases (oil prices perhaps) that dictate most of this?

With respect, I don't think that's what he was suggesting at all.  I
think he was suggesting that he had a model of expected increases in
costs, and plotted against that the actual increases in costs, and
noted that there was a difference.  I might have phrased the question
myself as, "Can you think of gaps in my model that explain the
difference?"  But I think the point is a fair one: if there is a
difference between the rate of increase for IETF meetings and the rate
of other increases, one either needs an explanation, or one might
conclude that the negotiations are not as tough as they might be.

None of this is, on my part, an effort to disparage the IAOC.
Frankly, having observed things closely, I think you're all nuts to be
willing to do that.  It's a thankless task.  But that is not a
response to Stephen's model, and given the work that went into it, I
think it is important evidence.

Best regards,

Andrew Sullivan
ajs(_at_)anvilwalrusden(_dot_)com