Re: voting system for future venues?

2011-08-25 04:48:18
On 08/25/2011 02:36, Glen Zorn wrote:
On 8/25/2011 3:52 PM, Doug Barton wrote:

Including only the hotel costs may (I haven't crunched the numbers) be
providing a very distorted view of the situation. In order to get the
whole picture you have to include the meeting fees and air fare, at
minimum.

As I believe has been mentioned, hotel costs and meeting fees are
intimately related.

Right, that was sort of my point. :)

Air fares, of course, vary with locations

Also true, however if we're going to use "charts and graphs" to provide
a metric of the effectiveness of the IAOC in this area it's important to
take the whole picture into account.

And while the regional rotation does spread the pain in a general way,
there is a discussion point in regards to "boutique" venues vs. more
pedestrian ones, and air fare is relevant to this issue as well.

Note, I left out "cost of food" from my minimal data set since there are
2 independent variables inherent in that which (I believe probably)
cancel this factor out over a reasonably long survey period. Individual
taste (which can vary pretty widely) and the fact that local costs
really are going to average out over time. But if someone wanted to make
an argument that this should be included with the other 3 factors I
would be quite easily persuaded.

Meanwhile, count me in the "more or less willing to believe that the
IAOC is making the best of a difficult task + glad it's not me"
category. I've both been responsible for and assisted with conference
planning and execution for groups both larger and smaller than the IETF,
and it's an unbelievably difficult job. And to top it off, like so many
other things in both life and business the better job you do this time
the higher the expectations are next time.

hth,

Doug

                        -- OK Go