Re: [IETF] Re: Plagued by PPTX again

2011-11-15 06:12:21
On 2011-11-15 23:13, Warren Kumari wrote:
On Nov 15, 2011, at 5:55 PM, Ray Bellis wrote:

On 15 Nov 2011, at 16:26, Bob Hinden wrote:

+1
The Datatracker does officially support PPTX, so I don't believe it's
unreasonable to use it.  If you don't like that policy, I'm not sure where
you would take that up.

I missed the discussion of that change.

It also hadn't occurred to me that people might actually prefer PPT over the
more open PPTX format.

I haven't fallen for the notion that OOXML is open. I saw too much of
that particular sausage been forced through the ISO sausage machine.
It's just a pragmatic issue for me - PPT was successfully reverse
engineered many years ago.

I will update my OpenOffice to see if it really handles PPTX properly,
when I get a chance.

I've also noticed that you can get problems when exporting to PDF using
Office for Mac 2008.  It mangles ligatures when you copy&paste the PDF
contents into something
else.

Yes… This part is REALLY annoying…

Wanting to be a good jabber scribe, I try insert the slide titles into the
jabber room so that folk can follow along at home….

Cutting and pasting from PDFs exported by Office (including on Windows) gives
me things like: "Algorithm*MigraFon*Documents*"

I don't know the Mac situation, but this isn't an uncommon class of
problem; I see it quite often in random PDF documents. Nothing is perfect.

One approach is to "print" the document via a virtual PostScript printer
to a .ps file and then convert the .ps to .pdf using ghostscript. That usually
seems to produce sane PDF.

Sure, I can type / retype the slide tutles, but I tpye raelly pooorly...

;-)

   Brian