Re: Future Handling of Blue Sheets

2012-05-10 01:23:51
Dear Russ,

please forgive me for adding one more comment on that after you judged on rough consensus.

As you said this rough consensus is quite rough (if we may call it "rough consensus").
I would like to point out two things:
1. the statement "(1) Rough consensus: an open and transparent standards process is more important to the IETF than privacy of blue sheet information." puts transparent process in competition with privacy. This is misleading, because there is no contradiction between an open and transparent process and privacy of personal information on this one. For example the availability of blue sheet information on request by an authenticated person does allow full transparency without broadcasting the personal location information. (e.g. see also Ted's proposal from yesterday) (Furthermore, if I would be devil's advocate, I would question this comparison even further, because it could be misread as stating that the current standards process as it is today (with blue sheets on request) is not open or transparent...)

2. if consensus is so rough, we should also consider that the subject of the email discussion was maybe not clear enough about its impact to inform the audience of the consequences of the discussion and the consensus to be measured. We could equally have used a subject like this: "IETF wants to publish your specific locations / whereabouts (within 10m) on an 2-hourly basis during the day for each meeting and keep this information available published on the website indefinitely." It might have resulted in a different rough consensus.

Just my 5cents.

Best regards, Tobias