Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-05 10:17:16

On 5 Sep 2012, at 10:51, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:

At 03:20 05-09-2012, Vinayak Hegde wrote:
It might be prudent to add other details of the DMCA order as well. I
have seen that other websites do that.

The IETF can provide the reason for a removal, e.g. a DMCA order, in the
tombstone.  The "if possible" was left in as there could be a gag order
preventing the IETF from disclosing the facts about a removal.

I suspect that catching such things and capturing them in our procedures are
the reason why the IETF has legal counsel.

Creating a perpetual I-D archive for the sake of rfcdiff is not a good idea
as it goes against the notion of letting an I-D expire gracefully.

On that, I agree fully.