Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-05 04:39:39
At 17:00 03-09-2012, IETF Chair wrote:
The IESG is considering this IESG Statement. Comments from the community are solicited.

[snip]

An I-D will only be removed from the public I-D archive in compliance
with a duly authorized court order.  If possible, a removed I-D will be
replaced with a tombstone file that describes the reason that the I-D
was removed from the public I-D archive.

I'll +1 the change (only for the IETF Stream) suggested by Alessandro Vesely.

Suggested text:

  An expired I-D will be removed from the public I-D archive when necessary.
  Such action will be taken by request of an IESG member, a chair of the
  working group associated with the I-D, or one of the document authors.
  If possible, a removed I-D will be replaced with a tombstone file that
  describes the reason that the I-D was removed from the public I-D archive.

The suggested text makes allowances for circumstances such as court orders. I used "when necessary" and left it to the IESG to make the decision.

Note that there is an inconsistency between the above the existing guidelines. Saying that an I-D has expired and distributing the I-D is a conflicting signal.

Regards,
-sm