Re: Draft IESG Statement on Removal of an Internet-Draft from the IETF Web Site

2012-09-05 09:32:33
On 5 Sep 2012, at 06:20, Vinayak Hegde <vinayakh(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com> wrote:

On Wed, Sep 5, 2012 at 2:50 PM, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:
An I-D will only be removed from the public I-D archive in compliance
with a duly authorized court order.  If possible, a removed I-D will be
replaced with a tombstone file that describes the reason that the I-D
was removed from the public I-D archive.

I'll +1 the change (only for the IETF Stream) suggested by Alessandro
Vesely.

Suggested text:

 An expired I-D will be removed from the public I-D archive when necessary.
 Such action will be taken by request of an IESG member, a chair of the
 working group associated with the I-D, or one of the document authors.

 If possible, a removed I-D will be replaced with a tombstone file that
 describes the reason that the I-D was removed from the public I-D archive.

+1
It might be prudent to add other details of the DMCA order as well. I
have seen that other websites do that.

This is a good FAQ on DMCA removal
http://www.chillingeffects.org/copyright/notice.cgi?NoticeID=627#QID130

-- Vinayak (IANAL)

IANAL either, but I can imagine valid non-DMCA reasons for the IESG wanting to
remove an expired I-D, or add a tombstone file / note in its place.

For example, I have seen examples where an IETFer (who'd been around the block
a few times, and so did know better) repeatedly has held up and cited a long
expired I-D claiming "Findings of the IETF show that ....", as part of his/her
argument in various contexts outside of the IETF.

Empowering the IESG to be able to act, in various such situations, and not just

I like Alessandro's suggestion that "An expired I-D will be removed from the
public I-D archive when necessary".

I am on the fence if some sort of "consensus for removal" among the ADs should
be expected or not, though - as Alessandro's text concerns *expired* I-Ds.
(It's trivial to render an *active* I-D *expired* by way of submitting a new
version...)

Thomas