Re: PowerPoint considered harmful (was Re: Barely literate minutes)

2012-12-02 02:28:09
On 02/12/2012 07:32, Randall Gellens wrote:
At 3:19 PM +0900 12/2/12, Randy Bush wrote:

   o if someone wants to float a new idea worth describing, then give
     them five or ten minutes on the agenda to ask others for input,
     no preso/ppt.

Seeing something visual can help people grasp what someone is saying.

Yes. It escapes me why we would hamper ourselves by *not* using diagrams
to explain complicated new ideas. The first time. Not the second and
subsequent times; that's why we have proceedings.

It also escapes me why we would hamper ourselves by not projecting lists
of open issues. True, almost everyone has a little screen on their knee.
Mine is usually full of jabber sessions for clashing WG meetings, the
text currently under discussion, etc. I prefer to see the current
discussion item on the big screen.

We should also remember that in our community with very diverse ways
of pronouncing the English language, the words on the big screen are
sometimes better understood than the words spoken.

I do agree that the ability to write new stuff on the screen in real
time was a significant advantage of the old acetate sheet. That is
clumsy to do with PPT.

    Brian