Re: PowerPoint considered harmful (was Re: Barely literate minutes)

2012-12-02 12:07:09
On 12/2/12 8:58 AM, Keith Moore wrote:
I'd add working group chairs (though I'm sure there are a few
exceptions) to the list of those with an apparent inability to
prioritize and structure work.   Or perhaps WGs should have to get
approval from their supervising AD before they can take on new
documents.

There's a whole nexus of connected issues here, I think, and what
a given person complains about depends on that person's pet peeves.
It seems to me that if we were better about moving work forward
between meetings (<- peeve!) meeting time wouldn't be chewed up
with presenting the current state of the work.  I think design
teams are a handy tool for keeping things moving and have the
side-effect of potentially improving meeting quality.  I'll be the
first to admit the possibility of abuse/things going wrong but
I think keeping work moving is one of the keys to solving this
problem.

I know the EDU team is working hard and has a tough task, but
I also wonder if improving however it is that we acculturate
newer participants might not help, as well.  I would guess that
if you polled meeting participants you'd get a majority of
respondents thinking that meetings are for presentation and
that meetings are used for document adoption and document
content decisions.

Melinda