Re: PowerPoint considered harmful (was Re: Barely literate minutes)

2012-12-02 08:54:03
On 12/02/2012 09:45 AM, John C Klensin wrote:
But rigs for cameras that are set up to be
pointed down onto sheets of paper on which drawings and notes
are being made are a lot more compact, compatible with the
projectors we are using already, and, like overhead
transparencies and PowerPoint-like decks, leave traces that can
easily be incorporated into minutes -- something that is less
feasible with any whiteboard technology we'd be likely to be
able to drag around.
I'd love to see us adopt such technology and strongly encourage its use, while at the same time actively discouraging the use of these meeting slots for /presentations/ and instead treating them as /discussions/.

(Another way to put is that even if we provide such cameras in meetings along with colored pens and paper, we will continue to see PowerPoint being used as it is today unless there's a community-wide effort to change our entrenched habits.)

Keith