Re: PowerPoint considered harmful (was Re: Barely literate minutes)

2012-12-02 09:04:11

--On Sunday, December 02, 2012 09:53 -0500 Keith Moore
<moore(_at_)network-heretics(_dot_)com> wrote:

(Another way to put is that even if we provide such cameras in
meetings along with colored pens and paper, we will continue
to see PowerPoint being used as it is today unless there's a
community-wide effort to change our entrenched habits.)

Sure.  But it is the now-entrenched habits that are the problem.
The overuse of PowerPoint for purposes of which neither of us
approve is merely a symptom, not, IMO, a cause (even if it
reinforces the behaviors).

Anyone for incorporating a slide (!) into the Newcomer's
Presentation (!!) that says "a presentation in a f2f meeting
that makes extensive use of PowerPoint decks with many and/or
dense slides brands the presenter as either a newcomer, someone
who is trying to avoid an actual discussion, or a fool"?   :-(

   john