Re: IETF Diversity Question on Berlin Registration?

2013-04-12 22:11:32
On 4/12/2013 8:51 PM, Ted Lemon wrote:
On Apr 12, 2013, at 7:32 PM, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:
Thomas Narten mentioned that: "we have the tendency to pick the people we know and
trust, which is understandable".  How many IAB members feel strongly about open
standards, rough consensus and running code?  To know the answer I would have to actually
know the IAB members.

Are they really that hard to get to know?   A number of them are participating
in this conversation. It's certainly hard to get time to sit with them at IETF
meetings.   I don't know what the workload is like for IAB members, but I think
I worked at least an 80 hour week in Orlando.

So, I can only answer for one IAB member ...

I'm less busy during IETF weeks than most IESG members.

It happens that SM grabbed me for at least one extended conversation in the hallway in Orlando (he grabbed me for several conversations, but not all of them lasted half an hour), and I found that conversation very helpful from my side.

Again, for myself - I see my role as an IAB member to be as helpful as I can be, so answering questions is something I do, and I need to do more often.

There are places I have to be, during IETF weeks - for instance, we were interviewing ISOC Board of Trustee nominees at specific times - but there are places I'm going that I don't have to get to, if someone needs to talk with me.

Finally - there are people on the IAB with fabulous social skills, but I'm not one of them. If someone needs to spend time picking my brain, I usually do have multiple meals open during IETF week.

Spencer