Re: Re: More participation from under-represented regions (was: IETF Meeting in South America)

2013-05-28 08:59:04

I support to try the new meeting sites such as South America or Africa.

Jiankang Yao

From: Abdussalam Baryun
Date: 2013-05-27 07:38
To: SM
CC: ietf; dcrocker
Subject: Re: More participation from under-represented regions (was: IETF
Meeting in South America)
I support to add the new region, hoping in future Africa gets its
chance. IMO, I thought about it from another point of view. After a
long time of having IETF meetings mostly in one region (as history of
North America region gaining most meetings), the result of that was
that IETF participants are majority from North America, so I think it
MAY be a result of meetings held in one region (some will argue it is
because experts individual-participants/company-participants come from
North America, while giving no value of IETF marketing),  However,
IETF claims it is for the WORLD as Internet is, not for only one
region's Internet. So giving now chance for other regions (or diverse
Internet communities) to gain meetings will help in the FUTURE more
participants from other regions as it happend to North America.

 For IETF it already gained many from North america, and they don't
increase so it SHOULD market elsewhere for future plans. My answers to
your questions below,

AB