Re: IETF Meeting in South America

2013-05-24 10:12:38
Hi. That's great news!

I think that a meeting in Buenos Aires will foster the participation in
our region. Including Brazilian participation. Probably it will be a
great opportunity for a lot of people to participate for the first time,
and come to know the process, and become involved.

It is important to note that sometimes it's not so easy for us
Brazilians, and Latin-americans, in general, to get visas for other
countries. For USA, for instance. And it is true that , in general, it
is easy to get a visa for Argentina.

Regards,
Antonio M. Moreiras.

    -------- Original Message --------
    Subject: IETF Meeting in South America
    Date: Thu, 23 May 2013 08:54:12 -0700
    From: The IAOC <bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com
<mailto:bob(_dot_)hinden(_at_)gmail(_dot_)com>>
    To: IETF Announcement List <ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
    <mailto:ietf-announce(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>>
    CC: ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org <mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>

    As you may know the IAOC has been investigating the feasibility of
    having an IETF
    meeting in South America.  There was a site visit to South
    America last
    February.
    We have found two venues that we believe will support a
    successful IETF
    meeting
    and we would like to get feedback from the community.

    The venues are in Buenos Aires.  They meet our requirements for
    the meeting
    space, networking, nearby restaurants and bars, hotel room rates
    in the
    mid $200
    dollar range, nearby alternate hotels at a broad range of prices,
    nice
    area in the
    city, safe, direct international flights, and accessible visas.  The
    IAOC thinks we
    could have a successful IETF meeting in Buenos Aires and that
    attendees
    would
    like the venues.

    There has been a consistent level of IETF participation from
    South and
    Central
    America, and it has been growing since IETF82.  The data on this is
    posted at

       http://iaoc.ietf.org/documents/IETF-Regional-Attendance-00.pdf.

    The current meeting regional rotation (announced at IETF79)
    allows for an
    occasional IETF meeting outside of our main regions (Europe,
    North America,
    Asia/Pacific).

    IETF standards are made more valuable the more relevant they are
    and the
    more
    uptake they get.  IETF standards are also made more robust when all
    perspectives
    are represented during their development.  Encouraging growing
    participation
    will help strengthen the Internet, further encourage
    participation from
    those areas
    that will see the most growth in the coming years, and will help
    advance
    the IETF
    in political and international circles which is becoming more of an
    imperative.

    We have asked the IESG for their feedback and they are supportive
    of a
    meeting in
    South America if there is community support and active
    participants attend.

    Things to consider are that it will be a long trip for the
    majority of
    IETFers and the
    air fares are more expensive (about 10% to 20% higher than
    average), though
    restaurants are less expensive.  This would be a case where most
    IETFers
    would
    bear more travel pain and expense.

    The IAOC would like to understand if the IETF community thinks
    that the IETF
    should have a meeting in the next few years in Buenos Aires.  The
    IAOC would
    also like to get feedback on how we can ensure the meeting is as
    successful as
    possible and on ways to grow participation in the region.

    We have set up a survey at
     https://www.surveymonkey.com/s/NWYLQCD  where
    you can indicate your likelihood of attending, and we encourage
    you to
    send your
    general feedback to the IETF list <ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org
    <mailto:ietf(_at_)ietf(_dot_)org>>.

    Thanks,
    Bob Hinden
    IAOC Chair