Re: Remote participants, newcomers, and tutorials (was: IETF87 Audio Streaming Info)

2013-07-26 23:03:56
On 7/26/13, SM <sm(_at_)resistor(_dot_)net> wrote:

The consensus of the IETF is that:

   "newcomers who attend Working Group meetings are encouraged to
    observe and absorb whatever material they can, but should not
    interfere with the ongoing process of the group"

This is bad for IETF, why no interfer from new experience, does IETF
want to only be guided by longer-working people?

It was also mentioned that:

  "Working group meetings are not intended for the education of
   individuals"

I think few ietf-WGs need to be educated or need mentoring, so
newcomers are recommended to help. I will add that it will be nice to
know the newcomers opinion about such consensus, and make an IETF
newcomer-WG consensus. The problem is that our IETF General Area (GA)
is still not covering all important issues and left to the IESG to
control thoes issues not the community. I requested before and still
want to do now, to suggest WGs in the GA, therefore, we avoid
discouraging reactions/decisions.

The first quote might discourage newcomers from participating.  I
suggest discussing about the two quotes during the orientation as
they could be misunderstood.

Yes it does for me. I support your suggestion, because I don't think I
misunderstood, they seem clear to exclude newcomers and only include
groupings not individuals.

AB