Re: Remote participants, newcomers, and tutorials

2013-07-27 18:13:00
At 14:01 27-07-2013, Jari Arkko wrote:
Let me clarify why I thought it was wrong. I don't think I'm disagreeing with you,

I'll reorder the end of the original message.

Jari (the guy who is preparing for the possibility - no matter how remote - that the cool kids might actually teach us a trick or two) :-)

If there is a possibility, however remote, that someone, irrespective or age or any other attributes, can teach me something I believe that it is worthwhile to be open to that. Yes, it may have been tried before. And yes, there is a history of failure.

However. Newcomers are not all alike. The student coming here to observe the IETF. The researcher who understands the field we are embarking on. The colleague that has been implementing The Protocol for the last two years in the office, but is now coming to the IETF for the first time. The guy who has something to say about the operational experience of our results. The team who brought their idea to the IETF to be standardised. And so on.

I do not equate new to the IETF with beginner. The student may be someone writing code. The person may know that for all its fancy words what's in the draft won't work as he or she tried that. The operator knows that whatever the RFC says it is not possible to follow that due to operational constraints.

A guideline is not a good one if it will have a chilling effect (motivate people not to speak up).

Regards,
-sm