Re: Remote participants, newcomers, and tutorials

2013-07-30 06:51:22
Dave,

I've been finding discussion and actions about newcomers far more interesting
this year, than most previous ones.  So I think it's worth pressing on
several fronts, to see how we can both accommodate such folk better, as well
as be clear about when and where and how such accommodation is /and is not/
appropriate.

Your reply to me, above, lists different types of new folk -- and of course
the list is reasonable and might be useful -- but I didn't see the actual
clarification of what you felt was wrong in the target text or how you agreed
with me an others.  So, now you've got me curious for that detail…

The wrong part in the text was suggesting that newcomers should never speak up
in meetings. I believe they in many cases should, although beginner or tutorial
questions should not be asked.

And while I've got the floor I'll offer a thought I had after a brief
conversation with Jari at last night's reception:

    Warning:  This calls for working groups to do a little more work.

The working group home page and the working group wiki have become excellent
tools for assembling relevant documents.  For someone trying to get started
in the wg, these are incredibly helpful.

    My suggestion is for a 'status' page that gives a brief summary about the
current state of the working group, ideally listing the current, near-term
vector of the work -- what's the current focus of effort -- and major open
issues.

    I'll suggest that it be updated after every meeting.

Arguably, this sort of status statement is good to have even without
newcomers, since it forces working groups to face the question of what
progress they are and are not making.

An exercise like this can be cast as onerous or helpful, depending upon the
surrounding organizational 'tone' we use.  In a supportive environment, the
exercise is helpful.  In a hostile one, not so much.

Basically, if a wg is being diligent and candid in summarizing its problems
(as well as progress) the rest of us have an obligation to be helpful.

I like this.

Jari