Re: Remote participants, newcomers, and tutorials (was: IETF87 Audio Streaming Info)

2013-07-27 01:18:07
I agree with John that audio and other things would be useful, but Brian is
also correct that they do involve some work. Let us see what we can do on audio
for IETF-88. Past recordings of the tutorials are available at
http://www.ietf.org/edu/process-oriented-tutorials.html#newcomers.

The meeting materials page does now have a training section now - added a
couple of hours ago, thanks Alexa! - and some of the materials are there. We're
working on putting the rest there.

(The newcomer's orientation file would already be there too but we're
struggling with some bug in the system in the upload.)

As for:

The consensus of the IETF is that:

 "newcomers who attend Working Group meetings are encouraged to
  observe and absorb whatever material they can, but should not
  interfere with the ongoing process of the group"

It was also mentioned that:

"Working group meetings are not intended for the education of
 individuals"

The first quote might discourage newcomers from participating.  I suggest
discussing about the two quotes during the orientation as they could be
misunderstood.

The second quote is valid in most cases, though we've had some sessions at
times that were designed more as education than discussion. For instance, the
IAB WCIT BOF last time.

But the first one is just plain wrong. Is this from RFC 3184? Many of the first
time IETFers are here for a reason, are well-versed in the technology in
question, and very much able to provide suggestions to the WG. Maybe RFC 3184
is in the need of an update. (It also says other things that may not be up to
date, like that locating mailing list archives is hard. I don¨t think it has
been hard ever since tools.ietf.org/wg/foo came about.)

Thanks for the feedback!

Jari

Specific suggestions:

(i) Let's get these open Sunday sessions audiocast and/or
available over Meetecho or WebEx.  If that is impossible for
IETF 87, it should be a priority for IETF 88 and later.

Yes.

POSH has not published a session agenda.  However, the BoF is listed on the
meeting agenda.  Is the BoF cancelled or will this be one of those willful
violations of IETF Best Current Practices?

Regards,
-sm