Re: Remote participants, newcomers, and tutorials

2013-07-27 19:27:49
On 7/27/13 3:52 PM, Aaron Yi DING wrote:
What do you mean by conference? too much information inferred in your
term that may confuse others on the list.  Will appreciate, if you can
share bit more on it, behind the single term "conference" that you
particularly don't like.

I love conferences but I'd hate to see IETF meetings turned into
them.  By "conference" I mean something in which people give papers
(or other talks) and most of the participants have an audience
role.  IETF meeting participation should be active.  It is almost
always the case, of course, that someone attending a meeting will
sit in on working groups in which they're not active, but it
should be unusual for someone who has no particular work in the
IETF and who's active in no working groups and active on no mailing
lists to come to a meeting.  IETF meetings are places to get work
done.

I agree with you that changing the working culture in WG meetings can be
bad, and we shall not go out of the ways to accommodate anything under
the name of "diversity".

I actually do think we should go out of our way to accommodate
and encourage diversity, but again, that's in the interest of
getting work done (and getting our work correct).  But back to
the original question of how to bring newcomers in through
remote participation - I would start with the assumption that
they'd be participating, remotely or otherwise, because they
have some networking problem (and possibly solution) that needs
standardization.  I'd also assume that they've done a basic
literature search, etc.

I wonder if it would be worthwhile to put together some material
(video or otherwise) that would help people decide whether or not
their problem belongs in the IETF.

Melinda